IRAN-UNITED STATES CLAIMS TRIBUNAL
Partial Award No 604
Cases Nos. A15 (II:A), A26 (IV) and B43 - Award No. 604-A15 (II:A)/A26 (IV)/B43-FT
1. At issue in the present Cases are claims brought by the Islamic Republic of Iran ("Iran") against the United States of America ("United States") asserting a violation by the United States of its obligations under the Algiers Declarations to arrange for the transfer to Iran of Iranian properties subject to the jurisdiction of the United States on 19 January 1981, when the Algiers Declarations entered into force, and to restore Iran's financial position to that which existed prior to 14 November 1979. (Iran and the United States will be hereinafter also referred to, collectively, as the "Parties.") The properties that are the main subject of dispute in the present Cases (the "disputed properties") are tangible properties of a non-military nature, which Iran identified in a series of separate claims ("Individual Claims").
2. The bulk of the disputed properties were not subject to United States export-control laws. The Tribunal, in the Partial Award rendered on 6 May 1992 in the present Cases, held that the Treasury Regulations issued by the United States in February 1981 were inconsistent with the United States' obligations under the Algiers Declarations. Iran contends that these Treasury Regulations prevented the return to Iran of certain non-export-controlled properties that Iran alleges were owned by it and located in the United States or otherwise subject to the jurisdiction of the United States on 19 January 1981. Included among the disputed non-export- controlled properties are, among other things, artworks, antique musical instruments, various tools and items of equipment for use on large-scale projects in Iran, electronic equipment, aircraft parts, archeological objects and fossils, and academic publications.
- Separate Opinion President Hans van Houtte - 10 March 2020
- Partially Dissenting Opinion of Judge Bruno Simma on the Meaning of the Term Iranian Properties - 10 March 2020
- Separate Opinion of Judge Hamid Reza Nikbakht Fini - 10 March 2020
- Separate Opinion of Judge Mir-Hossein Abedian Kalkhoran - 10 March 2020
- Separate Opinion of Judge Seyed Jamal Seifi - 10 March 2020
- Separate Opinion of Judge Charles N. Brower - 10 March 2020
- Separate Opinion of Judge O. Thomas Johnson - 10 March 2020
- Separate Opinion of Judge Rosemary Barkett - 10 March 2020