Alejandro I. Garcia is a Partner at Clyde & Co's London office and focuses his practice on international commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration.
Mr. Garcia has participated as counsel in a number of high-value international arbitrations both ad hoc and under the rules of the major arbitral institutions (including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), and the Arbitration and Mediation Center of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). His caseload has included arbitrations seated in jurisdictions across Europe, Asia and the Americas and governed by the laws of a number of countries.
Prior to joining Winston & Strawn, Mr. Garcia worked at leading law firms in England, Washington, D.C., and Santiago, Chile. Mr. Garcia also worked at the Arbitration and Mediation Centre of WIPO in Geneva, Switzerland, where he administered some of the largest and most complex arbitrations filed under the WIPO Arbitration Rules.
Some of Mr. Garcia's representative matters include:
- Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) - Advising investors in relation to potential claims arising from a European Government's recent amendments to the relevant legal framework on renewable energy.
- UNCITRAL/ECT - Representing a sovereign state in a Euro multi-billion claim pursued by multiple claimants in relation to an alleged investment in the solar energy sector.
- SCC/ECT - Representing a sovereign state in respect of a claim for several million Euro arising from an alleged investment in the solar energy sector.
- ICC - Securing a 100+ million dollar award for a Dubai-based company in an arbitration against one of Asia's largest manufacturers of household appliances.
- High Court - Representing a Japanese multinational in relation to arbitration-related proceedings before the English court.
- LCIA - Representing a Chinese telecoms company in an arbitration with a seat in London in relation to a breach of contract dispute governed by English law.
- High Court - Advising a Dominican company in relation to the enforcement in England of a large arbitral award against a Latin American State.
- UNCITRAL - Advising a major energy consortium on a number of disputes with the Government of a CIS country.
- ICC - Advising one of the largest Chilean telecoms companies in relation to an arbitration under English law.
- LCIA - Representing the respondent in a London-seated LCIA arbitration against one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies.
Mr. Garcia received his LL.B. from the University of Chile Law School in 2001 (summa cum laude) and he received his LL.M. from Harvard Law School in 2005 (Fulbright Scholar and Presidente de la Republica (Chile) Scholar).
Mr. Garcia co-authored the first comprehensive book in the English language on the arbitration of international disputes concerning intellectual property rights (International Intellectual Property Arbitration, Kluwer Law International, October 2010).
Mr. Garcia is a member of the LCIA Young International Arbitration Group, ICC Young Arbitrators Forum, Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration, and the Latin American Arbitration Association.
Mr. Garcia is a panelist (expert determiner) for domain name disputes brought before WIPO under the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP).