José Antonio Rivas
José Antonio Rivas is founding partner of Xtrategy. He is an expert on the various phases involving foreign investments in a host State including its promotion, establishment, and investment dispute resolution through international arbitration.
Mr. Rivas concentrates his practice in international investment arbitration and international law. He brings experience from government in Latin America in solving complaints and disputes submitted by foreign investors, as well as from the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) where he served as Counsel.
Mr. Rivas' experience involves defending sovereign States in international investment arbitration before ICSID and in commercial arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). His experience includes representation of private parties from Asia in investment treaty and breach of contract arbitrations at ICSID and the ICC.
- Doctor of Juridical Science, with distinction, Georgetown University Law Center, 2005
- Master of Laws in International Legal Studies, Georgetown University Law Center, 2000
- Bachelor of Economics, Los Andes University, 1998
- Abogado (law degree), Los Andes University, 1996
- Baccalauréat International de Genève, United World College of the Atlantic, 1990
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit