James trained with the Firm and qualified as a lawyer in the Dispute Resolution practice in 2008. As a Partner with Higher Rights of Audience, James focuses on international arbitration, including both commercial arbitration and investor state arbitration, as well as commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He has experience of arbitration and litigation predominantly within the energy and infrastructure, retail, telecoms, shipping and sports sectors, including proceedings under the ICSID, ICC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, UNCITRAL, LMAA and ADCCAC (Abu Dhabi) arbitration rules. James has most recently worked for: a South Asian state defending a claim by a UAE entity under the UNCITRAL Rules relating to an alumina refining project; a multinational energy company in an arbitration under the ICC Rules relating to a dispute concerning completion under an SPA; and a South Asian state pursuing and defending claims in the English courts relating to challenges/appeals to arbitral awards worth several billion dollars. James has benefited from secondments based in Moscow and Dubai during his time at the Firm.
- BPP Law School, 2005, Legal Practice Course
- BPP Law School, 2004, Graduate Diploma in Law
- St Anne's College, Oxford University, 2003, BA, Modern History
Admissions and qualifications
- Solicitor Advocate, Higher Courts of England and Wales, Higher Rights of Audience
- Solicitor, Senior Courts of England and Wales, 2008