Sophia Castillero a member of the international arbitration practice at a global law firm in Washington DC, representing private and sovereign clients in the resolution of international disputes, with experience in arbitration proceedings under the ICSID, PCA, UNCITRAL, ICC, and Swiss rules.
Before working in the fields of investment law and arbitration, she was an attorney and diplomat at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Panama (MIRE), and the Permanent Mission of Panama to the Organization of American States (OAS). During that time, she worked on matters of public international law, including representing the Republic of Panama in international courts on human rights cases.
Her dual training and experience in the civil and common-law traditions allows her to understand the differences between various legal systems and produce results as needed. She is proficient in English and Spanish, and works in both languages interchangeably.
Areas of Expertise
- Trial & Hearing Management
- Investment Law
- Public International Law
- Diplomacy & Foreign Relations
- International Development
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center (GULC)
- Post-Graduate Certificate, Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
- LL.B. Universidad Católica Santa Maria la Antigua de Panamá (USMA)